Tourism has been recognized as one of the greatest developed sectors of Australia over the upcoming two decades, although employment in the sector of hospitality is estimated to develop significantly over the upcoming three years. If undertaken together, these sectors of hospitality and tourism create one of the most essential industries. The sector of tourism employs a variety of different employees for facilitating activities of leisure far from the environment of ‘home’, while the sector of hospitality employs a wide variety of individuals for giving beverages, food and accommodation services. Several of these individuals obtained practical knowledge through courses of vocational training and education courses.
Collin Foods Limited is an organization in Australia that is publicly listed and mainly focused on the operations of the restaurant. It also franchises or operates restaurants from particular three brands Taco bell, KFC and Sizzler in Australia, Netherlands and Germany. Collin Foods Limited mainly believes in ‘Restaurants Done Better. Collin Foods employs over 15,000 employees worldwide. The company raises their bar mainly according to the thinking of people regarding the experience of restaurants that must be further sustainable and digital and the vision of the company is to be the Top Restaurant Operator in the whole world (Hunt, et al., 2015).
Diversity in the industry of hospitality means not only identifying conflicts but also valuing those conflicts and also understanding mainly how these conflicts might affect the experience of consumers and employees. So, the forms of diversity that are encountered by Collin Foods Limited are given below:
- Cultural diversity – This form of diversity is mainly related to the ethnicity of every individual. Collin Foods employs workers irrespective of their cultural background and also supports cultural diversity and celebrates the independence of every individual’s cultural background.
- Gender Diversity – For being a gender-diverse organization, Collin Foods addresses problems such as the pay gap as per gender where all women workers normally get lower wages for a similar job than male workers. They pay similar wages to the women workers as they pay male workers.
- Religious diversity – As population mainly follows various religions in the whole world. Various workers also choose particular practices of religion. For promoting diversity among consumers and workers, Collin Foods gives freedom to their employees to follow any religious practices that depict equality and tolerance (Hunt, et al., 2015).
- Age diversity – Collin Foods employs people above 18 years to 60 years. It helps the company to have both fresher that gives innovative ideas and experience person who have more working experience and knowledge. This improves the performance of the company (Altinay, et al., 2015).
Both consumers and employees mainly come from different cultural backgrounds and also with different experiences. Identifying these differences assist Collin Foods Limited in fostering effective teamwork so that all employees could efficiently collaborate and communicate. It also increases job satisfaction that decreases turnover and also creates productive and loyal employees. At a similar time, consumers will also be capable of enjoying comprehensive services that particularly speak to their needs and wants of the individual. The composition of the workforce in the establishments of tourism and hospitality is diverse and vast. It is vital to recruiting people from entire walks of nationalities and life for nurturing diversity in the workplace which signifies positive implications and improved productivity of the organization. So, Collin Foods need to implement policies and procedures of diversity in the workplace to increase the retention rate of consumers and employees and also to increase the profit margin of the business (Altinay, et al., 2015).
Diversity Policies and Procedures
The diversity-related practices and policies that are employed by Collin Foods Limited are mentioned below:
- Policy of diversity and inclusion – It is an important policy crucial to the engagement of the employee. The policy state the commitment of Collin Foods to making sure an inclusive, diverse and inclusive workplace. This policy also includes the procedures to make the grievances of harassment and complaints in the workplace. This policy also covers the provisions and support made accessible for all disabled individuals (Goody, 2018).
- Policy of selection and recruitment – This policy detail all steps that Collin Foods to make sure an unbiased process of selection and recruitment. An effective process is designed mainly to be evident, consistent and transparent of active assistance and also to be clear in the intents of the company for creating an inclusive and diverse workplace.
- Policy of flexible working – Adopting the efficient policy of flexible working helps the employees with their families and also personal requirements blossom without the challenges of fixed hours of working and the ability for working far away from the workplace. A transparent and clear policy of flexible working is critical to make sure expectations and mainly associated between the employees and the business.
- Policy of discrimination and harassment – This policy sets the values and needs of the organization as per the Equality Act 2010. HR Managers and Leaders make sure that all policies accurately communicate the relevant things and also the formal process is there to make complaints against any kind of discrimination at the workplace.
- Policy of disability and sensible adjustments – It details how Collin Foods will mainly make all adjustments for making sure adequate accessibility and support for all disabled individuals. This can mean mainly making some variations to the organization, acquiring specialized tools, flexible arrangements of work and also additional assistance (Goody, 2018).
It is the accountability of Collin Foods to develop the handbook of the company that accurately mentions policies and rules along with the system of main consequences if all rules and policies are not followed. Each employee must understand and read the handbook and all information must be reinforced and repeated at daily meetings with staff.
Effectiveness of policy and practices
The hospitality industry is an exclusively diverse field as it depends on the composite system of some different activities of businesses and also the diverse set of consumers and employees from different cultural and religious backgrounds. While this could also present a few constraints, it also develops some wonderful opportunities for building a further innovative, creative and productive workplace that satisfies all consumers. Establishing cultural diversity precedence and establishing it into the culture of the company could gain substantial rewards. Although cultural diversity comes with a huge list of advantages, also a few constraints are there that should be considered. Employees sometimes from dissimilar cultures are further unenthusiastic about speaking up in public and putting their opinions in front of everyone. Stereotypes, prejudices and various discrimination forms could sometimes make it hard to effectively integrate personal and team communication could be complex and it also results in misunderstandings and conflicts. Awareness of culture could assist in addressing these and also ignore making inefficient decisions that could have severe consequences (Byrd, 2021).
The culture of the organization is mainly defined by the attitude, beliefs and values that particularly reflect the priorities of Collin Foods and also direct the operations of the business. It is important to include the policy of diversity in the culture of the organization for being effective. Developing the handbook that mentions regulations and rules related to diversity makes sure that workers are familiar with all policies and reinforce all these priorities in a daily meeting with staff and it is an important part of developing diversity in the culture of the organization (Holden, 2016).
It is also essential for Collin Foods to mainly follow the given tips:
- Create diversity as the priority mainly during the process of hiring
- Create accurate policies that are significantly inclusive
- Give training regarding diversity to all employees
- Identify ways for supporting efficient communication
- Encourage constructive interactions among all employees (Holden, 2016).
The lack of awareness could lead to ineffective decision-making that can have severe consequences which is why Collin Foods need to make the employees aware of cultural differences and their impacts that can give them valuable visions that maximize the likelihood of making accurate and relevant business decisions (Byrd, 2021).
While the policy of diversity plays an essential role, it is also dynamic to the effectiveness of Collin Foods. Some precise steps are there that could be taken for both managing and creating diversity when it mainly comes to both consumers and employees. Considering all these steps enhance the experience of consumers and also drives productivity, innovation and creativity in the organization (Kottak, 2015).
These are given below:
- Reinforce the prominence of recognizing the diversity of consumers
- Know the consumers and also should pursue knowledge regarding particular culture
- Listen proactively and identify communication patterns
- Establish a friendly environment for consumers by having the diverse personnel
- Clear objectives should be established and progress should be measured frequently
- Effective staff meetings should be hosted
- Constructive feedback should be given to employees
- Training should be given to employees regarding policies of diversity
- Consumer survey should be done for taking their feedback and suggestions regarding the diversity policies of Collin Foods
- Council should be created for overseeing all inclusion
Fostering and recognizing diversity means celebrating and valuing the differences mainly among both consumers and employees and how all these may affect the employee and consumers’ experiences (Kottak, 2015).
Altinay, L., Paraskevas, A., & Jang, S. S. (2015). Planning research in hospitality and tourism. Routledge.
Byrd, W. C. (2021). Behind the diversity numbers. Harvard Education Press.
Goody, J. (2018). The social organisation of the Lo Wiili. Routledge.
Holden, A. (2016). Environment and tourism. Routledge.
Hunt, V., Layton, D., & Prince, S. (2015). Diversity matters. McKinsey & Company, 1(1), 15-29.
Kottak, C. P. (2015). Cultural anthropology: Appreciating cultural diversity. McGraw-Hill Education.