MGT601 Dynamic Leadership
Table of Contents
I am working as a community pharmacist in India and I have plans to pursue my master’s in public health services, as it will provide several opportunities in my career before choosing this path. Public health services, that I can become the Public Health Administrator. Pursuing the master’s in public health services will give me a degree certificate in the same career field and give me the wider knowledge to enhance my career. In the whole report, several things will be discussed such as the selection of period in which I am focusing on enhancing my leadership skills and preparing the personal development plan.
Being a leader, I get to know how to work as a team member and motivate them to achieve their goals and objectives in their personal and professional life. As a leader in this report, I learn several points which need to be focused on and selecting the best leadership development model and preparing a personal development plan for my future as a leader. I have determined some leadership development goals and the importance of taking the feedback from others including managers and colleagues. Also, I have examined that the goals achieve the criteria of SMART. SMART criteria goals including those goals must be specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and ensure that achieve on time (Lanshina, et al., 2019).
Working as a community pharmacist provides me several benefits in developing my skills in the healthcare sector. I have always been interesting to pursue my career in the healthcare sector which ensures that my skills are developed and my teachers and friends help me that how I can build my career in the same sector. There are several sectors in which I can develop my skills in the healthcare sector and enhance my performance. Working in the NGO will provide me with growth opportunities and will enhance my skills also, I will gain the experience letter of working as a pharmacist. A Master’s in Public health services is ensuring that my skills will be developed and widen my knowledge in the same sector. Public health services include the system of organizing all the activities that is focusing on prolonging life and also promoting health and maximizing efficiency. Our world health care system is also dominated by the provisioning of health care and also neglected public health (Vogel, et al., 2021).
The report is mainly focusing on what activities need to achieve in developing leadership qualities, and I am thinking to expand my services. Ensuring that using the policies and procedures of the organization I will try to best fit in the organization. It is not necessary that wherever I go for working and then I will handle a team. Firstly, I need to work on the immediate level, and then with my dedication and contribution, it will be possible that I got the manager post and ensure that working with my team members I have to work as a good leader. Working as a great leader will help me to analyze what are the issues that my team members are facing and solve their issues and guide them in choosing the best possible option. Also, I am emphasizing more on developing the best leader and I have prepared my development plan. Activities or objectives that I need to achieve are to develop my communication skills and enhance my listening skills as well as leadership skills. Leadership skills and listening skills both are essential for being a good leader because if a leader does not have the capabilities of working as a leader and managing the team then it is not possible to become a good leader(Freeman, et al., 2018).
Communication is important for the leader in the organization where I am focusing on ensuring that every team member who is working with me has the proper understanding of the objectives and strategies, they need to use for achieving those objectives. I am mainly focusing on becoming a great leader and using the right models to develop my thinking and skills. Having problem-solving skills is the major skill that I would like to develop in my journey. Leadership skills are important for managers to develop because leadership is the function of the management, and focuses on increasing maximizing efficiency (Freeman, et al., 2018).
The selection period for the development as a leader will be required and it takes 2 years to develop and enhance my leadership skills in the organization, as well as become an independent person in my life. I have worked as a community pharmacist in India and I am currently handling the pharmacy in one of the hospitals, as well as currently pursuing my master’s in public health services. Also, I have plans that after pursuing my master’s, I will be working as a promotion health officer and gain experience by working in an NGO. Pursuing a master’s will help me to enhance my knowledge and gain experience and develop my communication as well as leadership skills(Lanshina, et al., 2019).
Also joining the NGO will provide me with growth opportunities and becoming a multi-tasking will also increase my personal development. NGO not only gives me growth opportunities but it increases my networks and building connections would help me become a good leader. Moreover, it will enhance my Curriculum Vitae and increase my employable skills and develop my leadership skills (Ziyadin, et al., 2018).
The essential requirement of being a leader is to improve the performance of all the team members who are working under me as well as understand their issues and make them understand what are their objectives, they need to achieve in their employment journey. Before becoming a good leader, I have to work under a leader who will provide me guidance and I can learn from them how they are managing their tasks and communicating with the people who are working under them(Ziyadin, et al., 2018).
Working under a great leader will not only provide me with growth opportunities, but it will also help me to learn how to conduct meetings with people. A great leader always brings the best abilities and motivates all of us to achieve a shared goal. When I was working as a community pharmacist in India, handling one whole hospital and supplying all the medicines in the hospital, I realized that having leadership qualities will also work for me. Also, I have realized that my leader under whom I was working was very organized and he was tracking the performance of all the employees he mainly ensures that focused on avoiding the delays(Cortellazzo, et al., 2019).
2 years was really fine for me to develop my leadership skills and maintain the quality of my work as well as my communication. My plan to work in an NGO will also help me in developing my skills.
I have realized that taking feedback from the staff members with whom we are working as well as our managers and ensuring that I will take the feedback as well as implement them. Also, I will ensure that all the staff members and my managers provide real feedback. This feedback helps me to identify the areas of improvement where I will be working in the organization. Taking feedback and providing feedback improve my job performance by enhancing my ability and acknowledging the results that I am getting from my colleagues and co-members. Effective feedback is a major contributor to developing leadership skills and reducing employee mistakes and also increase efficiency in the workplace (Cortellazzo, et al., 2019).
The model that has been selected here for personal development is the Whitmore Grow Model.This model helps to set a goal that can be inspiring and challenging as well and the goal that needs to be achieved with the Whitmore Grow model provide flexibility. According to the Whitmore Grow Model, the leadership skills will be developed as there will be a coach who helps to select the best options out of all the possible opportunities. Also, the coach will not provide a straight direction, he will only provide mentoring and coaching in selecting the opportunity (Lacsamana, et al., 2018).
Another mode that we will be going to be discussed is Boyatzis Model is mainly focusing on intentional change, and the person is capable of taking charge of one’s learning. Five steps need to follow in the Boyatzis model of intentional change and the steps include such as discovering your ideal self, discovering your real self, creating the learning agenda, experimenting with and practicing new habits as well as getting support from the colleagues and supervisors(Lacsamana, et al., 2018).
Whitmore Grow Model will be the most suitable model for being a leader. As a leader, there will be several people who will be working under me, and I will guide them in taking decisions and provide the best solutions for issues they will be facing currently in the organization while working as a leader. Out of all the models, Whitmore Grow Model will be used for the improvement of performance, and being a leader in the organization, this model will be going to help.
Personal Development Plan as a leader
|Activities to do||Time frame in which the objective will be developed||Contribution to development as a leader|
|Developing leadership skills||In 2 months||It will help to develop my leadership skills and contribute to being a leader.|
|Developing communication skills||In 2 months||Developing communication skills help me to enhance my performance as a leader, and increase my confidence level as well (Siddique, 2019).|
|Developing self-awareness||In 1 month||Self-awareness will also be increased and it is a major contribution to being a leader(Moldoveanu, et al, 2019).|
|Master in public health services||In 2 years||Completing my master’s in public health services will help me to increase my knowledge of public health services, and provide my wider knowledge in different areas of the world.|
|Work in NGO||3 months||Working in NGO will give me certification of working as an officer in the NGO (Moldoveanu, et al, 2019).|
|Working as a health promotion officer||3 months||Health promotion officer will enhance my leadership skills in the organization, and increase my knowledge of being a health promotion officer and I get to know about the health services of the organization(Siddique, 2019).|
- There are several leadership developments goals that I want to achieve in my life such as enhancing my leadership skills and influencing the staff members working under me to achieve my objectives. It will provide me with a clear purpose for the development, and I will also focus on encouraging teamwork among my team members and ensuring that they achieve their objectives. I also ensure that I provide clear information and before that, I make sure that I have clear information that how all the objectives will be achieved and what are the policies and procedures of the organization(Brue, et al., 2018).
- the Second goal is to develop cultural sensitivity and increase the diversity in the organization. I make sure that diversity will be maintained in the organization and employees from the diverse background will be hired. Diversity is the primary factor in leadership, and the global leaders who are working effectively also ensure that diversity will be valued in the workplace (Brue, et al., 2018).
- Also, my leadership development goal is to bring innovation and creativity to the workplace, and I am also ensuring that innovation and creativity theories will also be explained and discussed with the staff members with whom I am working in the organization. Moreover, I will use the participative leadership style in which I would take opinions from my working members and ensure that their opinions will be implemented in the organization. The participative leadership style has its benefits of implementation in the organization and the leader must ensure that their opinions are taken into consideration credits will also be given to the employees whose opinions are relevant to the situation and easy to implement in the organization. It leads to an increase the morale and support will be given to the employees.
- Another development goal to become a good leader is to become a resilient person and have the leadership skills, and focus on cultivating the relationships. Becoming an active listener is one of the leadership development goals and offering constructive feedback, and being adaptable to change and growth. Also, I ensure that my performance will be efficient and I maximize my productivity, and ensure that my team members are happy with me. I also try to focus on building dynamic teams and providing a mentorship program to my staff members and subordinates who are working under me.
- Leadership development training programs provide the several benefits and it will increase the employee retention, so I make sure that I achieve the goal of providing the leadership training programs to my students, and promote better decision-making, and build the better teams, also the future leaders will be made in the company who will also give the right guidance to their subordinates. Moreover, I ensure that a positive working atmosphere will be maintained in the organization so that all employees will stay positive the organization(Asgari, et al., 2020).
- Another goal is to develop a safe environment and healthy workplace so that all the colleagues and staff members will be working safely in the organization. Being a mentor and a team leader, I will ensure that I have the responsibility that all staff members are working in a safe environment and they do not get any harm in the organization. Also, the safer the environment is the more productive work will be. Productive employees are considered an asset of the organization, so the right and safe working conditions will be given to them. The workplace also promotes the wellness of employees (Asgari, et al., 2020).
In the end, it has been concluded that being a leader provides several growth opportunities at the workplace and ensures that my skills will be developed. And adopting a good leadership style and using the right leadership development model will be useful. With a good leader, the right vision will be developed and it will motivate all the people to make it a reality. Connecting with all the team members and also encouraging personal as well as professional growthcontributes mainly to leadership development. Keeping a positive attitude is also essential in the organization for being a good leader.
The personal development plan will be prepared for the future as a leader where I have to list down all the activities that in how many months, I will develop my communication and leadership skills. Several skills I have to think to develop are working in the NGO and pursuing my master’s in public health services. Using the right leadership development model will be focusing on providing mentoring and coaching to staff members and increasing their performance as well as increasing their productivity. My overall aim is to ensure that my development gives a positive impression on my colleagues and give a great contribution to being a leader.
Asgari, A., Mezginejad, S., &Taherpour, F. (2020). The role of leadership styles in organizational citizenship behavior through the mediation of perceived organizational support and job satisfaction. Innovar, 30(75), 87-98.https://sci-hub.wf/10.15446/innovar.v30n75.83259
Brue, K. L., & Brue, S. A. (2018). Leadership Role Identity Construction in Women’s Leadership Development Programs. Journal of Leadership Education, 17(1).https://journalofleadershiped.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/17_1_brue.pdf
Cortellazzo, L., Bruni, E., & Zampieri, R. (2019). The role of leadership in a digitalized world: A review. Frontiers in psychology, 1938.https://sci-hub.wf/10.3389/fpsyg.2019.01938
Freeman, A. M., Nelson, R., & Sinha, S. S. (2018). The essential role of leadership development. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 72(18), 2272-2275.https://www.jacc.org/doi/epdf/10.1016/j.jacc.2018.09.029
Lacsamana, R. M., Portugal, L., & Delos Reyes, E. F. (2018). Learning Needs Assessment of Non-Teaching Personnel as Input to Human Resource Development Plan. Asia Pacific Journal of Education, 5(3).https://research.lpubatangas.edu.ph/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/APJEAS-2018.5.3.04.pdf
Lanshina, T., Barinova, V., Loginova, A., Lavrovsky, E., &Ponedelnik, I. (2019). Localizing and achieving the Sustainable Development Goals at the national level: Cases of leadership. International Organisations Research Journal, 14(1), 207-224.https://iorj.hse.ru/data/2019/05/22/1508327901/T.%20Lanshina,%20V.%20Barinova,%20A.%20Loginova,%20E.%20Lavrovsky,%20I.%20Ponedelnik.pdf
Moldoveanu, M., &Narayandas, D. (2019). The future of leadership development. Harvard business review, 97(2), 40-48.https://media1-production.mightynetworks.com/asset/4825190/HBR_Future_of_Leadership_Development.pdf
Siddique, M., & Nawaz, A. (2019). Effects of participative decision making on leadership styles: a student survey at Gomal University, Pakistan. International Transaction Journal of Engineering, Management, & Applied Sciences & Technologies, 10(11), 1-8.https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Allah-Nawaz-2/publication/336276017_EFFECTS_OF_PARTICIPATIVE_DECISION_MAKING_ON_LEADERSHIP_STYLES_A_STUDENT_SURVEY_AT_GOMAL_UNIVERSITY_PAKISTAN/links/5d98783ca6fdccfd0e784f2a/EFFECTS-OF-PARTICIPATIVE-DECISION-MAKING-ON-LEADERSHIP-STYLES-A-STUDENT-SURVEY-AT-GOMAL-UNIVERSITY-PAKISTAN.pdf
Vogel, B., Reichard, R. J., Batistič, S., & Černe, M. (2021). A bibliometric review of the leadership development field: How we got here, where we are, and where we are headed. The Leadership Quarterly, 32(5), 101381.https://sci-hub.wf/10.1016/j.leaqua.2020.101381
Ziyadin, S., Shash, N., Kenzhebekova, D., Yessenova, G., &Tlemissov, U. (2018). Data on the role of leadership in developing expertise in teaching in developing country. Data in brief, 18, 1127-1133.https://sci-hub.wf/10.1016/j.dib.2018.03.137