Working from home is defined as a situation when an employee is working from their apartment,
residence, and house instead of working from the office. Most of the companies follow a work
from home policy that is defined as the authority to allow employees to work from the apartment
as well as homes. It could be an allowance for full time or when it is suitable for them. It has
been analyzed that work from home has become almost possible with the development of
technology as well as internet communication. The nickname concept of Work from home is
Most of the organization followed work from home policy. It allowed employees to follow the
work from the home model during the Corona virus worldwide pandemic.
According to the half population of workers such as 56% workers of United Kingdom has
described that productivity has been improved during the current pandemic situation of the
world. Advanced technology and changing organizational culture played a vital role to achieve
its goals during the pandemic situation of the world (finder, 2021,). The feedback received by the
workers of United Kingdom is as follows-
65% of employees have defined that it would be more productive to work at home instead of
75% of employees also suggested that it would be helpful to decrease distraction while working
at home instead of working at the office.
83% of employees believe that they don’t need an office environment to be more productive
Advantages of Work from Home
There are various advantages of the work from home movement such as
1) Adaptable schedule – Work from home is helpful to create a flexible schedule. Employees are
not bounded in the working hours. Employees are free to take breaks. They could create
schedules according to their choice and requirements (Bick, et al., 2020).
2) Better balance between work and life – work from home is helpful to balance between work and life. Employees get time to talk with the family members. Traveling time that is occurred to go office on regular basis is utilized to talk with family members.
3) Time and cost-saving – Work from home is helpful to save time as well as overall cost.
Employees are free from the traffic and rushing hours. It is beneficial to save traveling time. It is
beneficial to save expenses of lunch breaks as well as coffee at the canteen of organization.
4) Enhanced employee retention – Work from home is helpful to maintain the daily activities
effectually. A flexible schedule allows them to maintain their personal life as well as
professional life (Kłopotek, 2017).
Disadvantages of Work from Home
There are various disadvantages of the work from movement such as
1) Not suitable for everyone – Work from home is not suitable for all employees. Some
employees need proper attention and a workplace environment. They need interaction with
different candidates (Kłopotek, 2017).
2) Home disturbance – Employees may get distracted while working at home. The employee
must have a working place where the employee could work effectually. Home noises and
disturbance could distract the employee from work (Bick, et al., 2020).
3) Complexity in monitoring performance – It is difficult to measure and monitor the
performance of an employee who works from home. Monitoring strategies have to apply to
measure the performance of an employee who works from home.
4) Information security risk – Chances of information security risk increase when the employees work from instead of the office. It is difficult to carry an office laptop at home and access the servers effectually (Kłopotek, 2017).
finder, 2021, Working from home (WFH) statistics 2020. finder, [Online] Available at
https://www.finder.com/uk/working-from-home-statistic [Accessed 15 February 2021].
Bick, A., Blandin, A., & Mertens, K. (2020). Work from home after the COVID-19 Outbreak.
Kłopotek, M. (2017). The advantages and disadvantages of remote working from the perspective
of young employees. Organizacja i Zarządzanie: kwartalnik naukowy.