Adam Williams, a sociology student, had to learn the hard way how to utilize prohibited phrases.
She had trouble with her grades on her homework throughout her first year of college.
When she attempted to identify the issue, she saw that her teacher had highlighted several
unrelated words with red ink. When she asked her teacher, she learned that the words in the
circles were taboo terms that shouldn’t be used in writing assignments.
Many students, like Adam, use derogatory phrases, which harms their marks. Anything that is
excessively informal, imprecise, or subjective can be considered a taboo word or phrase.
Types of Taboo
1. Too informal – Writing in academic contexts generally takes a more formal tone than writing
in non-academic contexts (including in web pages or blogs). Compared to how we ordinarily
talk, academic writing is more formal.
2. Too Exaggerated – Most of the time, academic writing is straightforward and uncomplicated.
Adverbs indicating frequency like always and never superlatives like best or greatest and intensifiers like frequently have a dramatic effect.
They might not be altogether wrong; after all, when you declare something is flawless or never
happens, students are making a big claim. Although they occasionally bring value, it's best to
utilize these terms sparingly.
3. Too vague – The academic paper will look sloppy and may be read differently if you employ
too much ambiguous terminology. Always make sure to be as specific as you can in your
4. Too Unsophisticated – Students must be careful not to overuse random and basic terminology
because doing so can make your writing seem less serious. Phrasal verbs should be replaced with
their one-word equivalents whenever possible.
Nevertheless, some of the phrasing and terminology listed below can be used in academic
writing. For instance, occasionally stating B offers an overview of illustrates that is fine. Keep in mind that longer, more complex words are not always preferable to shorter ones; instead, good academic writing should be succinct and include a variety of
5. Too Subjective – Some words and phrases draw attention to individuals’ bias. For instance, if
they say that something will undoubtedly occur, they are not articulating a fact but rather their
opinion that it is too likely to occur.
6. Usually Needless – Students’ academic papers should strive to be as concise as they can. Even
if they feel they give their writing a more polished sense, avoid using terms and phrases that have
no bearing on the sentences.
7. Usually incorrect – Even natural speakers of a language frequently misuse some words and
phrases. If students keep making these errors, they can begin to believe that they are accurate.
However, they must avoid using them again when composing their papers.
Other suggestions on using Taboo Words
Additionally, students must refrain from using the following phrases and words:
1. Clichés are overused phrases like the end of the day, thinking outside the box, etc.
2. Jargon: Technical terms that the average person wouldn’t understand.
3. Commonly used abbreviations in conversation: like a TV, refrigerator, or picture.
4. Language that is discriminatory against women: Sportsmen, like firefighters
Collect insights on the Taboo Words from the Writers at Moodle Monkey
The use of language is one aspect of academic writing that never changes, whether students are
writing an essay or a dissertation. They are probably aware that academic writing requires a
formal tone and writing style. However, many students might not be aware of how to employ the right to make their documents appear formal. This is when using Moodle Monkey’s assistance
always pays off wonderfully.
The writers who contribute to Moodle Monkey website are aware of forbidden terms and how to
avoid using them. Students may trust them to provide precisely written papers because they have
years of experience writing formal academic papers.
Additionally, Moodle Monkey has a talented group of editors and proofreaders who will work to
maintain the formal academic papers tone and style. Students papers will be free of faults and
inconsistencies, leaving them with a high-caliber paper.